A Level Results 2015
Posted on: Thursday 13th August 2015
Stanwell School is once again celebrating exceptional A level results which support the findings of Estyn, that ‘pupils’ performance in the Sixth Form is well above that seen in similar schools. The results are a confirmation that both outcomes and provision at the school are ‘excellent’ and indicate that learning and teaching continue to be at the core of the school’s business. This year has seen continued improvement, especially with the introduction of the new graded Welsh Baccalaureate (Welsh Bacc). At A level, 31 per cent of all grades were A* or A and 42 per cent when including the Welsh Bacc. Of particular note, students studying mathematics were awarded 56 A* or A grades (63% of entry), while in French, history, biology and chemistry 86%, 80%, 79% and 77% of the candidates secured A* to B, respectively.
Overall, there were 56 A* grades (10% of entry), 110 A* grades including the Welsh Bacc (14% of entry) and a very impressive 378 A* to B grades (65% of entry), which increases to 554 A* to B grades (71% of entry) when the Welsh Bacc is included. Furthermore, 191 students (94%) achieved the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma.
30 students achieved 3 A grades or better, with the high achievers including:
- Balaji Krishna (4 A* grades, 1 A grade and A Welsh Bacc)
- Jack Davies (4 A* grades and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Elis Vandyck (4 A* grades and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Rebecca te Water Naude (3 A* grades, 1 A grade and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Leo Tucker (3 A* grades, 1 A grade and A Welsh Bacc)
- Jay Kapuria (2 A* grades, 2 A grades and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Sinead McCausland (3 A* grades and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Mark Monaghan (1 A* grades, 3 A grades and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Imogen Sibert (1 A* grades, 3 A grades and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Emma Donovan (1 A* grades, 3 A grades and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Andreas Asprou (2 A* grades, 1 A grade, 1 B grade and A Welsh Bacc)
- Matilda Crack (2 A* grades, 1 A grade and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Megan Doran (2 A* grades, 1 A grade and A* Welsh Bacc)
- Rhodri Jones (2 A* grades, 1 A grade and A Welsh Bacc)
- Kathryn Tann (2 A* grades, 1 A grade and A Welsh Bacc)
- Daniel Cerasale (2 A* grades, 1 B grade and A Welsh Bacc)
This year the average points score per pupil for the Year 13 cohort (203 students) is 1144 points, which exceeds four A grades for every student.
Mr A Lewis, Senior Deputy Headteacher, commented that this year’s exceptional A level results once again put Stanwell students in the top performers in Wales and they are well deserved. “To see the relief and joy on our young peoples’ faces as they receive their results is always satisfying and is testimony to the effort and commitment shown by students and staff”. Mr Robin Relph, retiring Head of Sixth Form, stated “It has been a hugely successful morning and all members of the Sixth Form team are absolutely delighted that so many of our Year 13s have done well enough to secure places at their first choice universities. We congratulate all of our students on their achievements and wish them continued success in everything they do in the future. It has been a pleasure and a privilege to have worked with this group of young people.”
Subject Summary of Grades
Please download a copy of the Summary of A Level Results for more detail.
Our previous article was: Estyn Inspection May 2015 →