Ysgol Stanwell School

Archer Road, Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan, CF64 2XL

Business Studies

Head of Department
Mr J Crook
Teachers
Ms R Baker
Ms S Golding
Miss A Wilson

In Business Studies we offer students the opportunity to study a wide range of business related issues at both GCSE and A Level. Students also have the opportunity to take part in a variety of enterprise activities throughout their time of study.

Key Stage 4: GCSE in Business Studies

Students follow the WJEC specification.

Students will study topics that include:

  • the business framework
  • businesses and their customers
  • producing goods and services
  • human resource planning
  • finance and control
  • the external environment

The course consists of one controlled assessment worth 25% of the total mark and one written paper that makes up the remaining 75% of the overall mark. The exam consists of a series of compulsory short-answer questions and compulsory questions based on case study material. Some of these questions will require extended writing and will assess the quality of written communication.

A Level Business Studies

Students follow the WJEC specification.

The courses comprises of four units:

(AS) – UNIT 1: BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES

This unit focuses on new business start-ups and small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). The content in this section is based around the concept of starting a new business and the issues that surround the process of planning a new business.

  • Enterprise
  • Business plans
  • Markets
  • Market research
  • Business structure
  • Business location
  • Business finance
  • Business revenue and costs.

There is no controlled assessment. The external exam is worth 15% of the overall qualification and is made up of short answer and structured questions.

(AS) – UNIT 2: BUSINESS FUNCTIONS

Students will cover the following topics:

  • Marketing
  • Finance
  • People in organisations
  • Operations management.

The external exam covers the full AS content via case study materials and questions. The exam is worth 25% of the full A Level qualification.

(A2) – UNIT 3: BUSINESS ANALYSIS AND STRATEGY

Students will build their analytical and evaluative skills by looking at:

  • Data analysis
  • Market analysis
  • Sales forecasting
  • Analysing financial performance
  • Analysing non-financial performance
  • Aims and objectives
  • Strategy and implementation
  • Decision-making models
  • Investment appraisal

Students will investigate and consider business strategies and analytical techniques used in the business decision-making process.

The external exam consists of data response and structured questions. The exam is worth 30% of the full A Level qualification.

(A2) – UNIT 4: BUSINESS IN A CHANGING WORLD

To complete the course students will take into account the external factors that impact a business. These include:

  • Change
  • Risk management
  • PEST factors
  • Ethical, legal and environmental factors
  • International trade
  • Globalisation
  • The European Union

The external exam consists of case study material and an essay from a choice of three.

What skills will I develop?

Throughout the course students will be involved in a range of learning activities which will allow them to develop important transferable key skills for example numeracy, communication, ICT and problem solving. Students will also further their understanding of social, moral, ethical, cultural, environmental, citizenship, and European issues within a business format.

Will Business Studies help me with my future career?

Business Studies is a diverse and varied course, this means that it can be the foundation for many careers that students may choose to study. Obviously if you want to be the next Richard Branson and run your own business it is very useful. Other careers and further studies that can be directly linked to Business Studies include Finance, Law, Business Administration, Resource and Environmental Management, Personnel, Sales and Marketing.

Homework Club

Business Studies homework club runs on a Monday and a Thursday after school where students gain receive additional help, support and guidance with any issues relating to the subject.

Careers Wales Mark ICT Mark Accredited Eco Schools Healthy Schools Vale Network Welsh Baccalaureate Arts Council of Wales